Review // Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Monday, April 8, 2019


Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Publication Date: March 5th, 2019
Rating: 3 Stars
Source: Purchase
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 368

Summary (from Goodreads):

Everyone knows Daisy Jones & The Six, but nobody knows the reason behind their split at the absolute height of their popularity . . . until now.

Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it’s the rock and roll she loves most. By the time she’s twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things.

Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she’s pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road.

Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend.

The making of that legend is chronicled in this riveting and unforgettable novel, written as an oral history of one of the biggest bands of the seventies. Taylor Jenkins Reid is a talented writer who takes her work to a new level with Daisy Jones & The Six, brilliantly capturing a place and time in an utterly distinctive voice.

I read Daisy Jones & The Six for the 2019 OWLs Magical Readathon for the Charms prompt. Unfortunately, this book didn't charm me.

I think this was a case of being letdown by the hype. I have seen so many people flailing about this book and that combined with the hype for Reid's last book, I was expecting this book to be amazing.

The book is told in an interview format with the members of the bad plus a few other people that were important to the band or the creation of the music. They are telling the story of what happened around 30 years ago when their band split up. I liked the way this story was told. I don't usually like interview format stories, but I think that was the best way to get all the information from all the characters.

So, what I did like about this book was getting to see the process of the band coming together and the making of the album. That was interesting. I liked the character interactions and relationships, but I didn't particularly feel attached to any of the characters. I think I would have to say that my favorite character was probably Billy. I liked seeing his internal struggle with his addiction and trying to be the best man that he can for his family. I think he was probably the most interesting character to me.

But I didn't really feel like this book was very exciting. I did read this whole book in one day and it was interesting enough to keep me wanting to go on, but the whole time it was just okay. And I think I kept going so hard because I wanted to get to the end because I was expecting it to be so good. But when I got to the part where it explains why the band broke up, I found it to be super anticlimactic and not really anything that I hadn't seen coming.

Overall, this book was really just meh for me. It never really hooked me. I didn't actively dislike it, but I also kind of wish I could have those hours back. If you want to read a book all about sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, you ought to give this book a try.

Have you read Daisy Jones & The Six yet? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan