What I've Read Recently // #3

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Hello everyone! I am back with another update of what I have been reading since I last updated you on what I have been reading!

I am so proud of myself, not gonna lie. I have never hit one of my Goodreads goals before, but I think this might be the year! Honestly, there are two books on this list that I counted as three because they contain three different volumes that could all be counted individually on Goodreads, but whatever gets me from point A to point B, right?

Also, I am currently 11 books ahead of schedule! I am at 46/52 at the moment and I definitely think that I can read 6 books in four months. Readathons and not requesting books from Netgalley have been the most productive things for my reading lately.

Anyway, let's get on with what I have been reading recently.

          

1. Hollow Fields by Madeleine Rosca

This is one of those books that is actually a bind up of all three volumes that I counted individually on Goodreads. It's about a girl who is on her way to start school and accidentally ends up at the wrong one and is stuck going to a school for evil geniuses and mad scientists where each week the student with the lowest scores is sent to detention and never seen again. It was pretty interesting.

My boyfriend picked this one up from a rummage sale for me. He has come such a very long way from buying huge boxes full of books indiscriminately for me just because, "They're books! You like books!"

2. What Was I Scared Of? by Dr. Seuss

This used to be my mom's favorite Dr. Seuss book to read to my sister and I. And I stumbled across a glow-in-the-dark version? Yes, please! I picked this one up one day and read it out loud to my boyfriend so that he could say he consumed one whole book this year.


This was the first book I read for the NEWTs this year. I listened to this one as an audiobook and I kind of wish that I would have read it physically, I don't think I dedicated enough concentration to this book and didn't really like it, but also didn't really DISlike it. I don't really know what to think of it, but I think I might reread it physically if the general consensus for the rest of the series is good.

          


I was sent an ARC of The Bone Houses and I was SO excited! Welsh mythology + undead goat sidekick + reanimated corpses = 5 stars from me! If you think that sounds like fun, I would highly recommend you check this one out!


This one, unfortunately, was a miss for me. I literally couldn't bring myself to care about anyone or anything happening in this book. I think my main problem with this book could have been the writing style, but overall, I just didn't enjoy it. It wasn't my idea of a good time.

6. Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian

I listened to Ash Princess for the NEWTs as well. I got the audiobook shortly after the book came out because I actually got an eARC that I never got around to reading and I felt bad. But relatively recently the author has said some things on Twitter that I didn't really like and I don't know that I really want to support that so I probably won't go out of my way to review this one. I liked it. I really like the trope of a queen reclaiming her rightful throne. But this book isn't anything particularly revolutionary or unique. If I can manage to acquire the rest of the series without buying it, I might read it, but I'm probably not going to go out of my way to do so.

          

7. Saga vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

I was kinda scared when I picked this one up that I wouldn't really like it because Monstress didn't really work for me and I irrationally decided that it was because it was a graphic novel. Because clearly one graphic novel (my first!) not working for me, meant none ever would. I just couldn't really follow Monstress and nothing stuck in my head. But I didn't have that problem with Saga. It was a lot easier to follow for me. I think it was because the artwork wasn't as busy.

8. Saga vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

9. Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki by Mamoru Hosoda

I have had this manga for so long and finally got around to reading it as my last necessary book for the NEWTs. I enjoyed it, but I feel like it wasn't super exciting. I liked the characters and things didn't go the way I was expecting them to in like.. any part of it. But overall, not the most exciting story I've read recently.

     

10. Kiss of the Rose Princess by Aya Shouoto

I could NOT follow what was happening in this manga at all, the artwork was FAR too busy for me and it definitely affected my enjoyment of it. I kinda knew what was going on from the dialogue, but there was just too much going on for me otherwise. It's probably not that bad and I'm probably just being a baby, but probably my least favorite manga I've read.

11. House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig

I really enjoyed this one. It is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses tale. I've never heard that tale before, but it might mean something to you. I have seen this book described as a horror fantasy, but paranormal mystery/thriller feels more accurate. But it was a solid start to my spooky season reading.

I would say that The Bone Houses, House of Salt and Sorrows, and then Saga were probably my favorite recent reads, with Kiss of the Rose Princess and Wilder Girls being my least favorite.

Have you read any of these lately? What has been your favorite read lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan