August 2016 Wrap Up

Thursday, September 1, 2016

So this month was both ARC August and the #ReadThemAllThon. So that equalled a pretty big TBR. Originally when I signed up for ARC August, I had a super chill TBR, but I ended up perusing Netgalley and saw some things I obviously had to have and I got a catalog email from the one publisher I'm kind of in with. 

So my chill TBR definitely expanded.

Anyway this is what I ended up reading!!

          

1. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
-ARC August Read

2. Santorini Sunsets by Anita Hughes
-ARC August Read
-DNF

3. A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess
-ARC August Read
-#ReadThemAllThon Read - Boulder Badge
Review to come!

               
4. Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige
-ARC August Read
-#ReadThemAllThon Read - Marsh Badge
-Review to come!

5. Dreamology by Lucy Keating
-#ReadThemAllThon Read - Soul Badge
-Review to come!

6. Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
-#ReadThemAllThon Read - Cascade Badge
-Review to come!

51/75

---

Book Haul:

1. A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
-Purchase

2. How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather
-Trade

3. After the Woods by Kim Savage
-From the Author

4. The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins
-Trade

5. All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
-From the Publisher
Thank you again St. Martin's Press!

---

Reviewed:

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
Literary Starbucks by Various Authors
Frost Like Night by Sara Raasch
Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

In My Corner of the Blogosphere:

I recapped the Cursed Child release party I attended.
I posted a spotlight on a book I couldn't finish.
I had a guest post about fantasy books that would make great movies.
I talked about the inspiration for Peter Pan.
I posted my second book nerd bites post.
I posted a discussion on staying productive.
I talked about what September releases I'm looking forward to.

---

I thought August was going to majorly suck because it was going to involve a lot of work with horses. But fortunately for me, the BF's mom found a couple guys that actually wanted to halter break her colts and I didn't end up having to help that much! Which makes me so happy because I absolutely hate working with horses.

I've been seeing a lot more on the news about the Dakota Access Pipeline. Like, I KNEW about it for a long time, but I am just getting up to date on what exactly it all means. I have been blissfully ignorant of all of it pretty much. But I've been doing more reading on it and it's pretty awful. I live really close to the Standing Rock Reservation. I live near the Missouri River. I can see the Moreau River (a tributary that flows into the Missouri) from my living room. I cross the Missouri every day on my way to work. I'm pretty sure that my drinking water probably comes from the Missouri. I still have a lot more to read to get myself up to date on this, but if you're interested, I think this article is a good one.


I haven't really done a lot this month besides praying I can keep getting out of working with horses. I went home and got to have a long weekend because I had a doctor's appointment back home. My dad and my sister came to visit me. I discovered the universe doesn't want me to get a tetanus shot.

I watched a bunch of Studio Ghibli films this month. I watched Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away. My sister and I had a marathon when I was home. She still has Ponyo that we have to watch and all of it has made me want to rematch KiKi's Delivery Service!

---

Looking Ahead:

I don't really have any big plans for September. Hopefully the BF should be about done putting up hay and I can force him to have a Hunger Games movie marathon with me.

TBR:

Spells and Sorcery by S. Usher Evans
Wrecked by Maria Padian
Seas by Colleen Oakes
The Dead Boyfriend by R.L. Stine
Nemesis by Anna Banks
Fate of Flames by Sarah Raughley
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

---

How was August for you? What Studio Ghibli film is your favorite? I'm looking for recs on which one I should get my sister for Christmas!


2 comments:

  1. That's good you got out of having to help with the horses! I like horses in general, but they do tend to freak me out a bit. haha Plus, I've never ridden one. Maybe one day, but we'll see! I'll be in London for the beginning of September and I'm SO excited. I've never been before and we have a lot of fun things planned.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like so much fun! I would love to go to London someday! I hope you have such a blast!

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan