Top Ten Tuesday (#4)

Tuesday, July 21, 2015


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish!

This week's topic is Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters. After looking through lots of people's lists to get examples of diverse books, I have come to the conclusion that I have not read very many. So these will probably mostly just be diverse books that I've heard of. Oops.


1. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
What's diverse about it? Takes place in a middle eastern setting with characters from the middle east!


2. Romiette and Julio by Sharon M. Draper
I read this one way back in the day. I ordered this book out of one of those scholastic book orders they hand out in school. Did anyone else ever get those? I loved those.
What's diverse about it? Interracial relationship! And neither one of them is white.


3. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
What's diverse about it? Diverse author.


4. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
What's diverse about it? The main character has two dads.


5. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
What's diverse about it? It shows the difference between social classes. The Socs who are rich and popular and have it all and the Greasers who are quite the opposite.


6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I didn't really like this book...
What's diverse about it? One of the characters is gay and the main character is dealing with some mental health issues.



7. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
What's diverse about it? It features a gay couple.




8. Legend by Marie Lu
What's diverse about it? Diverse author.




9. The Young Elites by Marie Lu
What's diverse about it? Diverse author.




10. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
I read this one in school at some point in my life.
What's diverse about it? The main character is Indian.

Okay, so I lied. I just had to look a little harder, I've actually read all of these books. And now that I just saw Island of the Blue Dolphins on a list on Goodreads, it made me remember another book I read in college in my Diversity class, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. This is gonna bug me forever. I think it's about Native Americans and the main characters mom or grandma is named Ida I think. That is very little information, but if someone knows what it is, you should tell me to spare me the pain of never remembering what it is.
What are some diverse books you've read?

2 comments:

  1. Great choices! Ember and Wrath are two great examples. Lydia Kang's books are diverse too!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read any of Lydia Kang's books, but I think that I have at least one of them on my TBR so perhaps I shall get on that sooner rather than later!

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan