June 2016 Wrap Up

Friday, July 1, 2016

Books Read:


A Blanket for Decay by Zack Scott
Review


And I Darken by Kiersten White
Review


All the Feels by Danika Stone
DNF Review To Come

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Review


Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Review To Come


Frost Like Night by Sara Raasch
Review To Come

47/75 for the year.

***

Books Acquired:

Bought: 9

The Raven Boys
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Time Traveller's Wife
Ruined
The Dream Thieves
Blue Lily, Lily Blue
The Raven King

Otherwise Acquired: 3

Nevernight
Frost Like Night
Stealing Snow

Total: 12

***

Posts of Interest:

I posted reviews for:



★.5


★.5

DNF

I discussed love triangles and why I don't love them, diverse books and why white children should read them, and my favorite fantasy books!

I had my one year blogoversary!

I talked about Vlad the Impaler in my third A Glimpse Back in Time post!

I talked about what books I'm dying for in July!

***

Life Updates:

June has been a fairly uneventful month. About the only exciting things that happened this month were branding and a trip to Minnesota toward the end of the month!

Branding happens the second week of June every year. Usually, at least for as long as I've been around, it only takes about one day to do the branding. They round up one day and sort the calves off and brand the next day. This year it took about three days. For some reason, this year everyone was really understanding that I had to go to work everyday. Usually I get a lot of crap about how everyone else took the whole week off for branding.


Anyway, I never have to help round up because I refuse to drive around in the pasture because I think it's absolutely terrifying. There's washouts, drop offs, bumps, dams, all sorts of scary things to drive into that I don't know where they all are. So I just come home and help with the actual branding. When I first started coming out for branding, I had the easiest job there. They castrate all the bulls and my job was to spray some stuff on them so it doesn't get infected. Now they put bands on all the bulls when they're born so their balls fall off so I keep books. I just have to write down all the numbers of the calves that go through the chute.


I only ended up having to help on the first day because the second day all they did was round up the second group of cows and then the third day they had already started by the time I left for work. That was perfectly fine by me!

I'm glad that that's over because I find that the longer I am with my BF, the less I like the majority of his family. We don't see eye to eye on ANYTHING.

Anyhoodles, on to the fun part of my month. I went with my sister and three of her friends from work to Minnesota for a trip to Valleyfair, the Mall of America, and Dave and Busters! It was kind of rough for me because all of them work the night shift and I'm the only one who lives during normal human hours.

So Friday we were all supposed to meet at 11 am at the friend of my sister's who was driving. I have found that as I've gotten older, it's been harder for me to go on rides at fairs because I get really nauseous. So in order to try to make my admission into Valleyfair worth the money, I ate some cereal right when I woke up and then that was all I ate all day until I was done going on rides. It worked!! I was able to go on as many rides as I wanted to! I think I figured it out to where I would have ended up paying like $5 per ride and that was a number I could live with.


I went on my first rollercoater! If any of you have ever been to Valleyfair before, I went on the Wild Thing first. Oh. My. God. It was so terrifying. That might not have been the best introductory roller coaster, but I guess go big or go home, right? I think that one was the tallest one in the whole park. I also went on one that had quite a few loops which I liked considerably better because it wasn't so high. I am not a fan of heights. I actually kept my eyes open on that one!

I don't know if the video below works because I've never put a video on my blog before, but this is my sister and her friend going on the Ripcord. My sister probably screamed the loudest of anyone I heard scream the whole time we were there. And right before she went there was like a little eight year old girl that went on this ride.


We got to Valleyfair kind of late so we stayed til it closed at 11 pm. Then we stopped at a gas station where I bought and devoured a lot of junk food. Then it was on the road back to our hotel where I went to bed shortly after arriving and struggled to sleep because the night owls were in the other room talking.

The next day we got up and checked out and headed to the Mall of America. I was so excited because we were going to SeaLife Minnesota! The aquarium on the lowest level of the mall! Oh my WORD was I ever excited for this!!

      

      

      


I was pretty much in heaven here. My favorite thing ever was petting the stingrays! The super colorful touch pool was awesome as well, but I was scared to touch things because I thought they were going to feel gross. But they were really soft and velvety actually!

I bought a sweet stingray magnet in the gift shop and decided that when I go fun places like that my collectible souvenir of choice is going to be magnets from now on. Now that I have my very own refrigerator to stick them to!

Before we left the mall, I really wanted to try bubble tea because I see it all over the place and was curious about it. So I got passion fruit green tea with popping bobas in it. I didn't really think I was going to like it, but I did! It was really fruity and nothing like any tea I've ever tried before so I was really surprised!


After the mall we went to Dave and Buster's for supper and the arcade! It was a lot more fun than I was expecting it to be. It was getting late when we went there and it was still a 4 hour drive home, but we ended up staying until like 9:30. We ate supper and then everyone but me got game cards because I didn't really have money for that, but my sister shared her credits with me and we racked up 3,000 tickets! We saved them for when we go again in October for ValleyScare. They had some really fun games there! They had Mario Kart games and Luigi's Mansion and just all sorts of really fun games! After we left there, it was finally time to go home! I already want to go back because I want to use my free readmission to the aquarium and take the behind the scenes tour. And also I want to make a Build-A-Bear.

So that was about as exciting as my June got! July is looking to be pretty uneventful as well except it might be time to start halter breaking colts soon. :'( I hate horses so much.

Oh! I also FINALLY got to watch season 5 of Game of Thrones! I need to find a good internet connection and binge season 6! I've already had to unfollow two authors I quite like on twitter because they spoiled season 6 deaths for me! That makes me so angry. I hate live tweeting!!!!

***

Looking Ahead:

I think this month I'm going to go home for my town's summer festival, Farkleberry Days. I'm hoping that I can finish season 12 of Grey's Anatomy while I'm there and figure out where to watch season 6 of Game of Thrones and start that.

As for books, I think I'm going to read:

Wrecked by Maria Padian
Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
The Assassin Game by Kirsty McKay
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
The Chasm by S. Usher Evans
Caraval by Stephanie Garber

That's kind of an ambitious list, but we'll see how it goes.

Those are about all the concrete plans I have for July!

How was your June? Do you have any big plans for July??


2 comments:

  1. I totally love how nonchalantly you broached the subject of balls falling off. hahahahaha LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I was thinking about that when I wrote it. I was like, "I wonder what people are gonna think when they read this sentence." :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan