Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Saturday, June 13, 2015


Throne of Glass #2
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's Books
Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: Bought from BAM

Summary (from the back of the book): "An assassin's loyalties are always in doubt, but her heart never wavers.

Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become the King's Champion. But she is far from loyal to the crown. Though she hides her secret vigilantly, her deadly charade becomes difficult when she realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. No one is above questioning her allegiance -- not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then, one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... And whom she is willing to fight for."

Now that Celaena has become the King's Champion, she is back to being an assassin as the King gives her name after name of people that he wants dead. But Celaena doesn't carry out the assassinations, instead she helps the King's enemies fake their deaths and flee. The the King gives her the name Archer Finn, someone Celaena knows from her days with the assassins. The King believes that he is involved in a rebel group. So Celaena finds him and gives him one month to get his affairs in order and in exchange he gives her information regarding possible rebels. Celaena gets approached, once again, by Elena, who asks her to find the source of the king's power. So you know he's definitely up to no good. Then the events build up until a terribly heartbreaking event comes up and her world falls apart. 

Likes: 

I loved that Celaena and Chaol finally got together! I wanted them to be a thing from the very beginning! And that scene at one of the King's events where he asks her to dance on the balcony... Just yes. I loved it. I want Chaol all to myself. All the more reason why I want to be Celaena.

I liked that you finally got to see Celaena being her badass assassin self. I had been waiting to see her more deadly side. I liked that she only used her skills to defend and protect the people she loved and to get revenge against the people who hurt her loved ones. Basically I like that she's not just a monster. 

Dislikes:

I didn't like Archer Finn. He tried to be all smooth, but deep down he's just a coward. He seemed okay at first, but he definitely proved me wrong.

I really can't even think of anything else that I actually disliked about this book. Granted, I didn't write this in as timely a fashion as I should have and I struggled to remember a lot of what happened.. But it was a really good sequel and I usually am not a huge fan of sequels!

I gave this book 4 stars just because my mind wandered while I read it (not even because of the book or anything, just life). I promise my review for HEIR OF FIRE will be better! 

What are you currently reading? :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one! It's been so long since I've read it - honestly, all I remember is that I HATED the romance and couldn't stand Celaena. Heir of Fire was MUCH better :) I'm read The Blind Wish by Amber Lough! Rather, I'll be starting it :D

    Excellent review, Cyra!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan