Top Ten Tuesday // Character Freebie

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Hello! This week's Top Ten Tuesday prompt is a freebie for something having to do with characters. I reviewed the list of past prompts and the one that jumped out at me was most dislikable characters! This one spoke to me because I just so happen to be reading a book right now where I STRONGLY dislike one of the characters (beyond just UGH VILLAIN) and it has been awhile since I talked about some of these characters.

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl. Information and prompts can be found here.


1. Val from Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau-Preto


I am currently listening to the audiobook of Crown of Feathers. I am only about 6-ish hours into it, but right now, I very strongly dislike Veronycka's sister, Val. I don't know if there will come a point in the book where I will understand her motivations more, but right now she is just coming across as cruel and controlling and I don't see any good reason for it except that she's just awful. I understand that they have pretty much been on the run for years since their grandmother died and Val's pretty much been the one to bear the awful weight of what has had to be done to keep them both safe in that time, but I don't think that is a good enough reason to be cruel and controlling like she is.

Edit: I finished this book. I do definitely understand Val better, but I still don't know that I like her... yet.


2. Warner from Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


I mean, I didn't like this whole book in general, but I think my main reason was knowing that Warner was the main love interest of the series. It has been like six or seven years since I read this book, I think, so I don't remember a lot of my thoughts about it, but I remember him being abusive to Juliette and that my friends, is not romantic.


3. Rhysand from A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas


Another case of romanticized abuse. Rhysand drugs Feyre at faerie parties where he forces her to wear skimpy clothing that leaves nothing to the imagination, in which she isn't comfortable in, and makes her dance for him in ways that make other characters uncomfortable to have to tell her about. Drugging someone and taking away their choices is also not romantic.

I don't think Tamlin is a better choice (despite what my positive review says), but I didn't think negatively about him until I read a post once about how both romantic options in the story are bad ones.

4. Nesta from A Court of Thorns and Roses

It has been so long since I read this book that I truly don't remember Nesta that well, but every time I think about this book, I still just get immediately angry because she is one of the first characters to pop into my head. After re-reading my review of the book, I think I thought she was selfish, mean, and ungrateful, but I don't really remember.


5. Liesel from Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones


I still think that this book might possibly be my biggest disappointment ever. I really did not like Liesel, at all. The words I used to describe her in my review were "whiny, pathetic, and jealous".

I guess this week is only going to be Top Five Tuesday because these are the only ones that stand out in my mind right now! Who are some characters that you really dislike? Do we dislike any of the same characters?


No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan